Vaginal Breech Training
For maternity care professionals, we offer Breech Pro, a fully online vaginal breech training course. Course materials are self-paced, downloadable, and accessible for 1 year. Breech Pro also includes twice-monthly optional live sessions with Dr. Hayes and Dr. Freeze.
Parents, doulas, & childbirth educators are invited to enroll in Breech 101.
You can also watch and earn CEUS for the 2019 Madison Breech Conference.
Want hands-on training but concerned about covid-19? We've got you covered! Our hybrid workshops have 2 parts:
1. Breech Pro
2. Small group simulation training
Each 2-hour-long simulation group has 6 students or fewer. Students learn on our Sophie and Her Mum simulators.
We follow covid-19 protocols to minimize transmission, including masks, gloves, room ventilation, & social distancing.
Booking, scheduling, covid-19 policies, & more
Schedule and registration pages for upcoming hybrid & in-person breech trainings
David Hayes, MD
Dr. Hayes is an OBGYN with an academic background and a passion for science and its proper application to clinical medicine. He has worked for Médecins Sans Frontières and trained in critical care obstetrics. After beginning as a hospital-based obstetrician, he transitioned into a home births practice in Asheville, NC. Physiologic breech birth and supporting the training of breech birth attendants are particular interests of his. You can find him at Harvest Moon Women's Health.
Rixa Freeze, PhD
Dr. Freeze has a PhD from the University of Iowa and is a researcher, professor, and mother of 4 young children. Her current research specialization is vaginal breech birth. She is the founder and president of Breech Without Borders and blogs at Stand and Deliver. She taught at Wabash College for 9 years and recently ended her university teaching to dedicate her time to Breech Without Borders.
All of our breech trainings (Breech Pro, hybrid, or in-person) cover the following topics:
- Evidence on term breech since the Term Breech Trial
- Evidence on community breech birth
- Breech maneuvers & mechanics: history of obstetric maneuvers, mechanics of physiological breech birth, and an overview of upright & supine maneuvers
- Clinical aspects of vaginal breech birth: normal & abnormal breech birth, clinical practice guidelines, & maneuvers for resolving obstructed breech birth
- Nomenclatures & the risks/outcomes of various breech presentations
- Hands-on simulation training