Hybrid Breech Workshops
Learn Breech. Safely.
Want actual hands on experience but concerned about Covid-19? We've got you covered.
For places where it is permissible to hold small gatherings, we offer a hybrid workshop with three parts:
- Breech Pro, an online vaginal breech training course covering all of the material in our 2-day breech workshop.
- Hands-on small group simulation training with Dr. Hayes and/or Dr. Freeze.
- 1 year of twice-monthly live sessions (recordings also available) for ongoing mentorship
Each simulation group will have 4 students or fewer per instructor and will have a 2-hour block to learn and practice on the Sophie and Her Mum simulators. Additional blocks of simulation time may be purchased as well. All sessions will be carefully organized to minimize any risk of Covid-19 transmission, including gloves, masks, room ventilation, and social distancing.
Breech Pro is self-paced, downloadable, and includes 15 CEU/CPD hours. Hours are approved by ACNM (including ICEA & DONA), MEAC, the Midwifery Council of New Zealand, and the Australian College of Midwives. Our pending ACNM renewal will include up 18 CEs.
I already took a breech workshop.
Can I come just for the hands-on training?
Yes! Workshop or Breech Pro alums may register just for simulation hours. We also offer Breech Refresh, a 4-hour online training course that reminds you of what you learned in the workshop and gets you ready for simulation training.
If it has been more than a year since you attended the breech workshop, we highly recommend that you enroll in either Breech Pro or Breech Refresh alongside your simulation hours.
I am an alum. What is the difference between Breech Pro and Breech Refresh?
If you want to review the full course (and earn up to 18 CEUs including the simulation training), we encourage you to sign up for the full hybrid workshop. It will give you our full Breech Pro training package, twice-monthly live sessions with Dr. Hayes and Dr. Freeze for a full year, and 2 hours of simulation trianing. (We also record the first live session of every month for those who can't make it live.)
Topics covered in Breech Pro:
1. Evidence on term breech since the Term Breech Trial, Dr. Freeze (2 CEs)
2. Breech maneuvers & mechanics, Dr. Freeze (3 CEs)
a. History of breech maneuvers 1609-present
b. Physiological breech birth
c. Upright & supine maneuvers
3. Clinical aspects of vaginal breech birth, Dr. Hayes (5 CEs)
a. Normal breech birth
b. Selection criteria & clinical practice guidelines
c. Abnormal breech birth
4. Nomenclature and the risks/outcomes of various leg presentations, Dr. Freeze (1 CE)
5. Outcomes of community breech birth, Dr. Freeze (1 CE)
6. Filmed simulations with Dr. Hayes & Dr. Freeze (4 CEs)
a. Doll & pelvis demonstrations of upright & supine maneuvers, from both a top & bottom view, Dr. Freeze
b. Demonstrations of the upright & supine maneuvers on Sophie and Her Mum, in both LST and RST, Dr. Freeze
c. Demonstrations with Sophie & Her Mum with a student Floriane; Dr. Freeze walks her through all of the maneuvers and helps her learn how to do them
d. Clinical scenarios with Dr. Hayes & a student, using Sophie & Her Mum
On the other hand, if you only need a quick reminder of what you learned in the previous workshop, you can take Breech Refresh before your simulation training.
Topics covered in Breech Refresh:
1. Physiological breech birth (44 minutes; Dr. Freeze)
2. Normal breech birth, from rumping to birth of the head, for both frank and nonfrank breech presentations (44 minutes; Dr. Hayes)
3. Abnormal breech birth, reviewing the decision tree for vaginal breech birth and then applying it to real breech birth videos in which the mechanisms are disrupted (40 minutes; Dr. Hayes)
4. Upright and supine maneuvers for resolving obstructed breech birth using an obstetrical simulator (45 minutes, Dr. Freeze)
5. 2020 research update (1 hour, Dr. Freeze)