Primip frank breech birth with mother in an upright kneeling position (USA)
This first-time mother was supported by an OB, a midwife, and a doula. Labor lasted 4 hours and the baby weighed 7 lb 12 oz (3515 g).
The birth is shown twice:
- Unedited with subtitles
- Edited & in slow motion with commentary on the mechanics and maneuvers
Questions for discussion & reflection:
1) The video begins with the mother in an asymmetrical lunging position. Why might such a position be encouraged?
2) The OB asks the mother to move to a kneeling position. Do you feel the position change was necessary or helpful in this case?
3) A birthing bar is in place. Does it seem helpful in this case?
4) The OB suggests a shoulder press to assist delivery of the head. Why was this choice made? Do you feel it was necessary in this case?